Monday, September 28, 2009

Everything "A" is "A" Again

I admit that I am still agog when I look at the residential mortgage-backed securities transactions from right before the crash. I know it sounds like I am, once again, excavating things best left interred, but that is not the case. Last week, Fitch gave a triple A rating to a new security called "JP Morgan Re-securitization Trust 2009-R10." The Fitch news release mentions that among the securities being "re-securitized" is "a 25% interest in Lehman Mortgage Trust 2007-7, class 6-A-4." "And what's that?" I wondered, you know, to myself (I'm a blogger so, I am alone).

Then, I went on Westlaw Business and found the prospectus. LMT 2007-7 was an $800 million pool of about 2,000 residential mortgages. It issued 19 different classes of securities. The securities were narrowly sliced to reflect specific parts of the large pool. First,the big pool was subdivided into three smaller pools based on the quality of the underwriting standards. 77% of the mortgages in Pool 3, composed mostly of mortgages originated by Lehman's banking sub Lehman Brothers Bank, were "no-doc" loans.

The Pools were further subdivided into "collateral groups" by interest rate. Series 6-A4 was paid out of collateral group 6, a collection of 700-or-so mortgages with a weighted average interest rate of 7.5%. The "A" and the "4" indicate payment priority - "A" securities got paid first, but within "A" 1 got paid before 2, or 4. Further confusing the payment priority picture, the 6-A4 securities are also described as "super senior."

LMT 2007-7 paid right on schedule until December of 2007-7 when it filed a form 15 to withdraw its registration on the grounds that it was held by fewer then 40 people.

Virtually all the LMT 2007-7 securities were initially rated triple A by S&P. When I checked their rating last week, they were all rated B+ or lower. When I checked today, the ratings were gone.

Is this what we're going to get instead of PPIP?

No comments:

Post a Comment